NASENI Solar PV Installation Training Programme: The National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) in collaboration with Cornell University Institute for African Development (IAD), Alfred State University of New York (SUNY), College of Technology, TellCo Europe, Nigeria Solar Orun Ododo Power Company Limited, African Energy, The US Embassy Abuja and the, Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program wish to announce a 2 Weeks Solar PV Installation Training Programme.
The programme is scheduled as follows:
Date: July 30 – August 10, 2018
Venue: Technology Orientation Centre, NASENI, Idu Industrial Area, Idu, Abuja, Nigeria.
Introduction to solar PV
Solar energy system is becoming an important energy source in Nigeria. As the demand for solar electricity increases, so also is the demand for skilled solar installers. The activities of quack solar installers in the past marred the integrity of solar energy systems. To avoid these types of challenges in the future of solar electricity, there is need to develop a critical mass of highly skilled solar systems installers. Hence, this program seeks to provide world-class training and mentorship to twenty 20 potential solar energy systems installers and encourage them to become solar energy entrepreneurs and service providers. Solar experts from Cornell University, Alfred State University of New York (SUNY) College of Technology, TellCo Europe Nigeria Solar, Orun Ododo Power Company Limited, African Energy and NASENI will provide training and mentorship for the selected 20 trainees, maintaining a good balance between theory and practice. Trainees will be exposed to practical field experience for a week as they design and install real-life projects in two rural communities to power water supply systems. Trainees will also be provided at least six months mentorship in their quest to becoming solar energy entrepreneurs and service providers.
The objectives of this training project are:
• To train 20 solar energy systems installers
• To provide the 20 trainees with one-week field experience in the design and installation of solar
energy system in two rural communities for powering water supply systems
• To mentor the 20 trained solar energy systems installers for at least six months after training and
encourage them to become solar energy entrepreneurs and service providers
Training Schedules & Course Contents
Week 1: July 30 – August 3, 2018
The training would be run in two sessions daily from Monday to Friday:
1) Morning session (9.00am – 1.00pm): Theoretical Basics
2) Afternoon session (2.00 – 4.00pm): Practical and Lab. work
Topics to be covered will include, but not limited to the following:
i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. vii. viii.
- Introduction to Solar Photovoltaics (PV) PV System Installation Safety Components of Solar Systems
- PV system wiring
- PV system sizing
- System Installation
- Troubleshooting, Maintenance and Repairs Solar energy business and entrepreneurship
August 6 – 10, 2018
Field work and practical experience on solar system design and installation in a rural community.
Minimum eligibility criteria for intending participants:
• O’ Level, Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE)
• Background in Science, Engineering or Technical education
• Successful applicants would be either unemployed or underemployed
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply as 10 out of the 20 slots will be reserved for them.
The training is FREE and at no cost to selected participants. Funding for the training is provided by Cornell University’s Institute for African Development (IAD), with support from NASENI and Orun Ododo Power Company Limited. The funding covers the following:
• Course Fee
• Lunch and tea breaks during training session
• Training and writing materials
• Practical and Lab work
• Field trips and site work
Please note that accommodation and transportation to the venue of the training are not covered. Selected participants are required make private arrangements for these.
How to Apply
You can submit your application through any of the following means:
• Visit the NASENI website: www.naseni.org and follow the instruction on “How to Apply”
• Send your application letter, CV and credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org OR by Post to NASENI, P.M.B. 391, Garki, Abuja (please inscribe “Solar Training” at the top-right corner of the envelope)
Deadline for submission of application is Wednesday June 27, 2018 (12.00 noon).Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for oral interview scheduled for July 4, 2018
For further inquiries, please contact Emmanuel at email@example.com or Sa’ima at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +2348023719099